Notes to help you on our website
We have included these notes to tell you things you need to know to ensure you get the best experience from your visit. The topics are:
Design and Security
Our website has been designed using the latest standards. The main pages are coded in XHTML and, for security purposes, some pages are coded in PHP. The website is hosted on a secure server with an SSL certificate so that all information passing to and fro is encrypted. This protects against spammers and makes your browsing safer as hackers cannot see any of the information you may give to us when you are shopping online.
We use several methods to make your visit enjoyable and we hope these features make it easy to navigate the contents of the website:
- The main navigation menus appear underneath our logo and in the left hand panel. The selections change colour as the cursor passes over them. Click the link for the page you want to view.
- A message underneath the horizontal navigation menu tells you the name of the page you are currently viewing.
- Hyperlinks in the page content are shown in a red colour but turn to black as your mouse hovers over them. These links will take you directly to an appropriate page or bookmark when you click them. Links showing an email address will open up a blank message addressed to us when clicked.
- Each page has a small bobbin in the second column. This moves down as you scroll through the contents. Click it to return to the top of the page. Underneath this is a quick link to your shopping basket plus a Facebook symbol so you can visit our Facebook page. Give us a 'like' as it will be a great help to us.
- Images used on the pages have three main purposes:
- a simple thumbnail picture of a product
- a thumbnail link to a larger image which will open in a pop-up window when the link is clicked. In such instances, the pointer will change shape as it hovers over a linked image.
Note: If the link goes to multiple pictures, the caption at the bottom will say it is 'Image 1 of 2' (for example) - hover your mouse over the right hand side of the image to reveal the arrow which, when clicked, will open the second image.
- a direct link to another page, e.g. as used on our home page for shortcuts to specific sections
- The sliding images used in banners on some pages can be paused by holding the mouse cursor over the image. The sliding display restarts when the mouse is moved away from the image.
We use two main contact forms - one for general enquiries and one to join our mailing list. Any information you supply is treated with the strictest confidence and will only be used for contacting you, either by email or telephone.
The other contact forms we use are for data protection purposes, order tracking and a facility to obtain your order history
The website has been tested on all the popular browsers - Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari and Internet Explorer. It works fine with all of them.
When you make a purchase from our website session cookies are used to compile the transactions in your shopping basket. These session cookies are stored on our web server and are therefore totally secure and safe from hackers. A session cookie expires after two hours and is then deleted.
A temporary cookie is stored on your PC purely to identify the correct session cookie but it contains no information that will be of value to a hacker.
If you have opted to pay using your PayPal account, you will be transferred to the secure servers of PayPal so your financial details remain totally confidential between you and them.